Re: pg_upgrade project status

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)sun(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_upgrade project status
Date: 2009-01-27 19:36:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 7:04 PM, Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)sun(dot)com> wrote:

> Dave Page píše v út 27. 01. 2009 v 14:56 +0000:
>> I'd rather it was written in an appropriate language before feature
>> freeze, not in a language that makes it easier for the author but a
>> shade harder for thousands of users three months into feature freeze.
>
> The script is one year old. It is integrated in the OpenSolaris and
> Solaris 10U6. I presented the script on PGCon2008. Everybody could
> complain about it long time ago.

Neither of which are the correct place to submit work for inclusion in
PostgreSQL. We're currently arguing about bouncing features that are
in late stages of development and were submitted long before feature
freeze. Your upgrade script is in the early stages of development
(although it may be mature as a korn script), and needs to be entirely
rewritten in a different language before it can even be considered for
inclusion. If it's been around for a year, why hasn't it been
submitted long ago so we could have rewritten and reviewed etc. in
plenty of time?

I'd love to see UIP, but even I, as someone that generally (and
sometimes loudly) supports good work that is submitted close to
feature freeze am having a hard time seeing why this work should be
accepted so late, even if its in /contrib.

--
Dave Page