Re: pg_upgrade project status

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_upgrade project status
Date: 2009-01-27 19:37:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Zdenek Kotala wrote:
> Set general value for heap or btree is possible but not optimal. For
> example If you have 5TB table and page layout changes do not affected
> this table but some small table needs perform a cleanup then 5TB will be
> processed in general approach, but in optimal variant it will be mark as
> prepared on upgrade automatically.

Only the space reservation of *new* inserts/updates need to be
integrated in the backend. In addition to that, we'll need a pre-upgrade
script that decides which tables need processing, and process them. This
is no different whether we accept some generic space reservation patch
now, or backpatch a more precise one later.

--
Heikki Linnakangas