Re: pg_upgrade project status

From: Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_upgrade project status
Date: 2009-01-27 19:04:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dave Page píše v út 27. 01. 2009 v 14:56 +0000:
> On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 2:49 PM, Alvaro Herrera
> > Dave Page wrote:

> >> There are installers for it, but given that we made a point of porting
> >> everything to C to avoid using any scripting languages on end-user
> >> machines when we ported to Windows, it seems strange to relax that
> >> 'policy' now for convenience.
> >
> > If you prefer to not have pg_upgrade at all for 8.4, feel free to
> > request it to be written in C ... But I'm sure that's not what you
> > meant.
>
> I'd rather it was written in an appropriate language before feature
> freeze, not in a language that makes it easier for the author but a
> shade harder for thousands of users three months into feature freeze.

The script is one year old. It is integrated in the OpenSolaris and
Solaris 10U6. I presented the script on PGCon2008. Everybody could
complain about it long time ago. And from my point of view it is first
step then better solution will be developed in C - (see my presentation
- "initdb upgrade" command).

Zdenek