Re: ComboBox for FK columns in EditGrid

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: "Robins Tharakan" <tharakan(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ComboBox for FK columns in EditGrid
Date: 2008-02-13 16:51:35
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On Feb 13, 2008 4:33 PM, Robins Tharakan <tharakan(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In searching for what to add next to PgAdmin, I saw that the PgAdmin TODO list has listed ComboBoxes in ForeignKey columns as one of its requirements.
>
> Is anyone working on it ?
> I would want to give it a try if I could understand wxWidgets a little bit more.

You mean in the edit grid as selectable values? Sure, go for it.

> And for that, any recommendations as to which control to use ?
> Should I use wxVListBox (in case the list is large) or simply use wxListView and warn for large lists ? Or any other ?

wxComboxBox would seem more appropriate - list boxes are not really an
appropriate control from a UI perspective. You will need to give some
though to how the data will be populated, especially when there are a
lot of rows on the child table. I would consider using a single source
of data for each column, and maybe list 50 rows at a time, but add a
pseudo-option as the last item which, if selected, will grab the next
50 rows. Use a cursor to get the data (might be a good time to think
about adding cursor support to pgSet), and cache it so we only have to
get it once when the form is loaded.

Sounds like a fun little project actually...

--
Dave Page
The Oracle-compatible database company