RE: non-HOT update not looking at FSM for large tuple update

From: Floris Van Nee <florisvannee(at)Optiver(dot)com>
To: Matthias van de Meent <boekewurm+postgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: John Naylor <john(dot)naylor(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: non-HOT update not looking at FSM for large tuple update
Date: 2021-03-09 13:40:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

> This patch fails to consider that len may be bigger than MaxHeapTupleSize *
> 0.98, which in this case triggers a reproducable
> PANIC:

Good catch! I've adapted the patch with your suggested fix.

> One different question I have, though, is why we can't "just" teach vacuum
> to clean up trailing unused line pointers. As in, can't we trim the line pointer
> array when vacuum detects that the trailing line pointers on the page are all
> unused?
>
> The only documentation that I could find that this doesn't happen is in the
> comment on PageIndexTupleDelete and PageRepairFragmentation, both not
> very descriptive on why we can't shrink the page->pd_linp array. One is
> "Unlike heap pages, we compact out the line pointer for the removed tuple."
> (Jan. 2002), and the other is "It doesn't remove unused line pointers! Please
> don't change this." (Oct. 2000), but I can't seem to find the documentation /
> conversations on the implications that such shrinking would have.

This is an interesting alternative indeed. I also can't find any documentation/conversation about this and the message is rather cryptic.
Hopefully someone on the list still remembers the reasoning behind this rather cryptic comment in PageRepairFragmentation.

-Floris

Attachment Content-Type Size
v3-Allow-inserting-tuples-into-almost-empty-pages.patch application/octet-stream 3.8 KB