Re: DBlink documentation

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tino Wildenhain <tino(at)wildenhain(dot)de>
Cc: Andre Truter <linux(at)trusoft(dot)co(dot)za>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsqlrpms-hackers(at)pgfoundry(dot)org
Subject: Re: DBlink documentation
Date: 2005-12-17 18:31:08
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-general

Tino Wildenhain <tino(at)wildenhain(dot)de> writes:
> Am Samstag, den 17.12.2005, 16:53 +0200 schrieb Andre Truter:
>> I would be nice if the documentation could be online though, then I
>> would not need to download the whole postgres source just to get the
>> documentation for one small part.

> This is understandable ;) But in this case not postgres peoples
> fault. There is no reason a package manager should exclude parts
> of the software at will.

Actually, I don't think you can reasonably blame the Debian packager
for having overlooked the fact that contrib/dblink has more
documentation files besides its README. The PGDG RPM people overlooked
that too, as did Red Hat (ie, me).

Now that I look, tsearch2 has also adopted a nonstandard documentation
layout.

While we (the packagers) could fix this now that our attention has been
called to it, I wonder whether the better plan wouldn't be to insist
that dblink and tsearch2 fall into line with the rest of the contrib
modules. At the very least we need a uniform convention for docs files
so that packagers won't be playing catchup forever.