Re: Pet Peeves?

From: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: rhubbell <Rhubbell(at)iHubbell(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Pet Peeves?
Date: 2009-01-30 20:46:22
Lists: pgsql-general

rhubbell <Rhubbell(at)iHubbell(dot)com> writes:

> What's your list look like? Or maybe you want everyone else to do your work
> for you and don't have anything to share.

Heh, fair enough. Perhaps I should just say you should come to FOSDEM though
:)

The usual bugaboos are things like having to do a dump/restore to upgrade,
weak support for partitioning, no index-only-scans, etc. Things which have
been mentioned several times.

One thing which has *not* been mentioned which i find positively shocking is
VACUUM. This was once our single biggest source of user complaints. Between
Autovacuum improvements and HOT previously and the free space map in 8.4 the
situation will be much improved. However there are still some common usage
patterns where people run into problems.

--
Gregory Stark