Re: [ADMIN] postgresql under Windows is slow

From: Adrian Phillips <adrianp(at)powertech(dot)no>
To: Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
Cc: Pgsql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [ADMIN] postgresql under Windows is slow
Date: 2002-01-31 19:25:22
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-hackers

Oleg> On Thu, 31 Jan 2002, Andy Ruhl wrote:
>> On Wed, 30 Jan 2002, Oleg Bartunov wrote:
>>
>> > anybody has an experience how is stable postgresql under
>> Windows system ? > I tried postgresq 7.1 under Cygwin, Windows
>> 98 and was dissapointed > by very bad performance. Are there
>> something I could tune ? > I got 250 sel/sec on simple select
>> from table with 500 rows ! > Under Linux I have 2500 sel/sec.
>>
>> What are your plans for postgresql on Windows? Just by the
>> nature of the OS, I'd never expect too much performance from a
>> Cygwin app, especially one like postgresql. Do you plan on
>> running it on 98 in a production manner?

Oleg> even worse, we have to port our application to Windows and
Oleg> it should run under W95..XP on different hardware (PII
Oleg> ...). It'll run in single-user environment (thank
Oleg> goodness). Database will have about 20-30 K rows.

For starters, check out the Cywgin FAQ :-

http://cygwin.com/faq/faq.html#TOC75 (How is fork implemented)

and the Cygwin User's guide, especially :-

Highlights of Cygwin Functionality/Process Creation

There are also some discussions about fork and vfork in the mailing
list archives, and I see that there have been some changes to do with
vfork during the last year or so but don't know whether that is
applicable to Postgresql.

Sincerely

Adrian Phillips

--