Re: [ADMIN] postgresql under Windows is slow

From: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)krosing(dot)net>
To: Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
Cc: Andy Ruhl <acruhl(at)sdf(dot)lonestar(dot)org>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org, Pgsql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [ADMIN] postgresql under Windows is slow
Date: 2002-01-31 18:34:16
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 2002-01-31 at 21:33, Oleg Bartunov wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Jan 2002, Andy Ruhl wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 30 Jan 2002, Oleg Bartunov wrote:
> >
> > > anybody has an experience how is stable postgresql under Windows system ?
> > > I tried postgresq 7.1 under Cygwin, Windows 98 and was dissapointed
> > > by very bad performance. Are there something I could tune ?
> > > I got 250 sel/sec on simple select from table with 500 rows !
> > > Under Linux I have 2500 sel/sec.
> >
> > What are your plans for postgresql on Windows? Just by the nature of the
> > OS, I'd never expect too much performance from a Cygwin app, especially
> > one like postgresql. Do you plan on running it on 98 in a production
> > manner?
>
> even worse, we have to port our application to Windows and it should
> run under W95..XP on different hardware (PII ...).

It can be thet task switching behaviour of Win9x in not very best and
thus too much time is spent switching between client and server :)

To test this theory you could dry to rerun your benchmarks by sending
more queries in one request to lower the switching overhead. When you
run 250 single selects/sec you need to switch between client and server
process 500x/sec. Try sending your queries 10 at a time and see what you
get, or for even cleaner test results use separate server comuter

> It'll run in single-user environment (thank goodness).

It could help if you could run in a single process perhaps by putting
your whole application logic in pl/perl (or will this still use
_another_ backent to execute it's queries.

> Database will have about 20-30 K rows.

Do you really need all that performance on win9x ?

Hannu