Re: emergency outage requiring database restart

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: emergency outage requiring database restart
Date: 2016-10-26 18:09:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> *) I've now strongly correlated this routine with the damage.

Hmm. Do you have any way to replace the non-core calls with something
else? The "shexec('rm -f ' || _OutputFile)" bits could presumably be
converted to use contrib/adminpack's pg_file_unlink(), or an equivalent
one-liner in plperlu or plpythonu. I don't know what the sqshf
incantation does, though.

This wouldn't be about fixing it so much as narrowing down where the
problem is.