Re: proposal - psql - possibility to redirect only tabular output

From: David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Artur Zakirov <zaartur(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: proposal - psql - possibility to redirect only tabular output
Date: 2021-03-03 16:58:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 7/3/20 11:27 PM, Pavel Stehule wrote:

> pá 3. 7. 2020 v 12:16 odesílatel Artur Zakirov <zaartur(at)gmail(dot)com
> <mailto:zaartur(at)gmail(dot)com>> napsal:
>
> The patch looks interesting. As far as I understand the purpose of the
> patch is to hide status messages from result output.
> So maybe it would be enough just to hide status messages at all. There
> is the QUIET variable for that. The main advantage of this variable is
> that it hides a status of "\lo_" commands, for example, as well as a
> status of utility commands. So the QUIET variable covers more use
> cases already.
>

> The quiet mode isn't exactly what I want (it can be used as a workaround
> - and now, pspg https://github.com/okbob/pspg
> <https://github.com/okbob/pspg> knows a format of status line and can
> work it).
>
> I would like to see a status row. For me it is a visual check so some
> statements like INSERT or UPDATE was done successfully. But I would not
> send it to the terminal with an active tabular pager.

It's been quite a while since the patch has seen any review. It's not
clear that this is enough of an improvement over QUIET to be worthwhile.

I think it would be best to close this patch at the end of the CF if
there is no further reviewer/committer interest.

Regards,
--
-David
david(at)pgmasters(dot)net