Re: Confusing behavior of psql's \e

From: Jacob Champion <pchampion(at)vmware(dot)com>
To: "laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at" <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Cc: "chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net" <chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Confusing behavior of psql's \e
Date: 2021-03-03 17:12:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 2021-03-03 at 17:08 +0100, Laurenz Albe wrote:
> This is no new behavior, and I think this is rare enough that we don't
> have to bother.

I agree that it's not new behavior, but this patch exposes that
behavior for the temporary file case, because you've fixed the bug that
caused the timestamp check to not matter. As far as I can tell, you
can't run into that race on the master branch for temporary files, and
you won't run into it in practice for explicit filenames.

--Jacob