Re: improved DefElem list processing

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: improved DefElem list processing
Date: 2016-08-04 18:08:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
> Here are two WIP patches to improve the DefElem list processing that is
> used by many utility commands.

> One factors out the duplicate checks, which are currently taking up a
> lot of space with duplicate code. I haven't applied this everywhere
> yet, but the patch shows how much boring code can be saved.

+1 on the general idea, but I wonder if it's a problem that you replaced
an O(N) check with an O(N^2) check. I don't think there are any commands
that would be likely to have so many options that this would become a
serious issue, but ...

> The other adds a location field to the DefElem node.

+1 for sure, lots of places where that would be a good thing
(the duplicate check itself, for starters).