Re: Patch to avoid SIGQUIT accident

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Renato dos Santos <shazaum(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Patch to avoid SIGQUIT accident
Date: 2018-10-21 23:20:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Renato dos Santos <shazaum(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> I have been using psql for quite a few days. And I have accidentally pressed the CTRL + \ keys that sends the signal QUIT+Coredump (CTRL+4 also sends the same signal).
> I hope it's relevant to more people. (This has bothered me.)

> this patch avoids the output of the CLI using ctrl + \ is the same as ctrl + c

I'm fairly confused about why this would be a good idea, for several
reasons:

* If you have a tendency to make that typo, why would you want a fix that
only affects psql and not any of your other applications? (If you do
want the latter, there are already ways to do it, eg you could remap
SIGQUIT to some other key via stty, or disable core dumps via ulimit.)

* If we put this in, what becomes of people who actually want a core dump,
eg for debugging?

* SIGQUIT is a fairly well-known way to get out of an application when all
else fails. People who aren't familiar with psql's exit commands might
find it pretty unfriendly of us to block this off.