proper use of array datatype

From: "Eric Andrews" <eric(dot)m(dot)andrews(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: proper use of array datatype
Date: 2006-08-01 18:58:00
Lists: pgsql-general

hello all,

I am not much of a schema designer and have a general questoin about
the proper use of the array datatype. In my example, I have
destinations, and destinations can have multiple boxes, and inside
those boxes are a set of contents. what I want to do is search and
basically "mine" data from the content sets. do I use an array
datatype for the content column, or is there a better more efficient
way to go about this?

>From http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/arrays.html

Tip: Arrays are not sets; searching for specific array elements may
be a sign of database misdesign. Consider using a separate table with
a row for each item that would be an array element. This will be
easier to search, and is likely to scale up better to large numbers of
elements.

thanks,
eric