Re: proper use of array datatype

From: "Nikolay Samokhvalov" <samokhvalov(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Eric Andrews" <eric(dot)m(dot)andrews(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: proper use of array datatype
Date: 2006-08-01 20:07:47
Lists: pgsql-general

On 8/1/06, Eric Andrews <eric(dot)m(dot)andrews(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> ... and inside
> those boxes are a set of contents. what I want to do is search and
> basically "mine" data from the content sets. do I use an array
> datatype for the content column, or is there a better more efficient
> way to go about this?

What kind of content?
Is it possible to design regular table for it (a set of properties is
clear a priori)?

BTW, there is some interesting constrib module - contrib/hstore - that
allows to work with structures similar to perl's hashes. And, one more
- contrib/ltree - that provides the tree-like structures. Both are
based on GiST - that means support of index and, therefore, good
perfomance. Consider using these extensions.

--
Best regards,
Nikolay