Re: Maximum password length

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Bossart, Nathan" <bossartn(at)amazon(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Alexander Kukushkin <cyberdemn(at)gmail(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, "isaac(dot)morland(at)gmail(dot)com" <isaac(dot)morland(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Maximum password length
Date: 2020-09-03 21:36:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Bossart, Nathan" <bossartn(at)amazon(dot)com> writes:
> On 9/3/20, 2:14 PM, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> If you insist, I'll change it, but it seems even less likely to ever
>> matter to anybody than the changes to make simple_prompt accept
>> indefinitely long passwords. (Perhaps a reasonable compromise
>> is to extend this comment to note that we're also not bothering
>> to support indefinitely long passwords.)

> I don't feel strongly about this. A comment in the code seems
> reasonable.

Alvaro proposes nearby that we ought to have a src/common/ function
to slurp an indefinitely long line from a file [1]. If we do that,
it'd be entirely reasonable to make this code use that. So maybe
the right comment is "XXX FIXME later".

regards, tom lane

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20200903200842.GA11952%40alvherre.pgsql