Re: pgsql: Add basic TAP tests for psql's tab-completion logic.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Christoph Berg <myon(at)debian(dot)org>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgsql: Add basic TAP tests for psql's tab-completion logic.
Date: 2020-01-09 15:50:11
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

Christoph Berg <myon(at)debian(dot)org> writes:
> Fwiw if libedit in xenial is Just Broken and fixing the tests would
> just codify the brokenness without adding any value, I'll just disable
> that test in that particular build. It looks like setting
> with_readline=no on the make command line should work.

That would disable psql's tab completion, command editing, and history
altogether, which I doubt is what you want for production builds.
If we conclude we can't work around the testing issues for ancient
libedit, probably the right answer is to provide a switch to
disable just the test. I've been trying to dance around that
conclusion, but maybe we should just do it and move on.