Re: split TOAST support out of postgres.h

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: split TOAST support out of postgres.h
Date: 2022-12-30 16:50:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> writes:
> On 28.12.22 16:07, Tom Lane wrote:
>> I dunno, #3 seems kind of unprincipled. Also, since fmgr.h is included
>> so widely, I doubt it is buying very much in terms of reducing header
>> footprint. How bad is it to do #2?

> See this incremental patch set.

Wow, 41 files requiring varatt.h is a lot fewer than I would have guessed.
I think that bears out my feeling that fmgr.h wasn't a great location:
I count 117 #includes of that, many of which are in .h files themselves
so that many more .c files would be required to read them.

(You did check that this passes cpluspluscheck/headerscheck, right?)

> It seems like maybe there is some intermediate abstraction that a lot of
> these places should be using that we haven't thought of yet.

Hmm. Perhaps, but I think I'm content with this version of the patch.