Re: peripatus build failures....

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Larry Rosenman <ler(at)lerctr(dot)org>
Cc: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: peripatus build failures....
Date: 2018-07-06 23:18:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Larry Rosenman <ler(at)lerctr(dot)org> writes:
> On Fri, Jul 06, 2018 at 06:40:49PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> I do not like the "-Wl,-z,notext" thing at all. It fails to explain
>> why things are working OK in v11/HEAD, which makes me think that it's
>> band-aiding something rather than really fixing it.

> Following the advice in the error message, the following ALSO fixes it
> (REL_10_STABLE):
> +override CFLAGS := -fPIC

Yeah, I wondered about whether that wasn't a cleaner answer, but the same
problem remains: if we need that in src/port/, why don't all the branches
need it? It would be unsurprising if we'd gained a requirement for -fPIC
somewhere along the line, but I don't entirely believe that we lost one.
So I'd still like to know when this changed.