AutoCommit and DDL

From: Don Drake <dondrake(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: AutoCommit and DDL
Date: 2005-02-26 20:56:52
Lists: pgsql-sql

I have a generic function that creates partition tables and their
corresponding indexes and constraints.

I've tested the function using a GUI and it works great. We
implemented in our data loaders (written in perl) and the DB
connections have AutoCommit turned off. When we run it in the perl
script, I see the code being execute to create the tables, etc. but
they are never created, even with a commit at the end. It appears
something is causing the table creation to get rolled back.

I turned AutoCommit on and re-ran the perl script and the tables get
created. Why won't these table's get created when AutoCommit is off?
Why do I have to commit DDL?

I'm running 7.4.3.

Thanks.

-Don