Re: diference in dates in minutes

From: "Joel Fradkin" <jfradkin(at)wazagua(dot)com>
To: "'Bruno Wolff III'" <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>
Cc: <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: diference in dates in minutes
Date: 2005-02-26 20:14:02
Lists: pgsql-sql

You probably want to convert the dates to timestamps, subtract them to
get an interval, extract the epoch to get timme in seconds and then divide
by 60 to get time in minutes.

The converting date to timestamp part isn't trivial. You need to decide
on what you mean when you do this. If you really have timestamps in the
first place, then you can skip the covernsion step.

They are dates and I did find I could do date - date to give me an interval
date_part('epoch',date-date) returns in secs so /60
This appeared to work ok without converting to time stamps, but maybe I am
missing it if it is not correct as the example I looked at was a large
difference. The app is analyzing Tlogs and the difference should never be
too large, so I will further analyze it with real data.
As always I appreciate the help.
My real question is this an interval then and will it be depreciated soon?
If so what is a better way?

Joel