Re: Code of Conduct plan

From: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, PostgreSQL Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Code of Conduct plan
Date: 2018-06-03 19:32:33
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

On 06/03/2018 11:29 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Two years ago, there was considerable discussion about creating a
> Code of Conduct for the Postgres community, as a result of which
> the core team announced a plan to create an exploration committee
> to draft a CoC [1]. That process has taken far longer than expected,
> but the committee has not been idle. They worked through many comments
> and many drafts to produce a version that seems acceptable in the view
> of the core team. This final(?) draft can be found at
>
> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Code_of_Conduct
>
> We are now asking for a final round of community comments.
> Please send any public comments to the pgsql-general list (only).
> If you wish to make a private comment, you may send it to
> coc(at)postgresql(dot)org(dot)
>
> The initial membership of the CoC committee will be announced separately,
> but shortly.
>
> Unless there are substantial objections, or nontrivial changes as a result
> of this round of comments, we anticipate making the CoC official as of
> July 1 2018.

My comments:

1) Reiterate my contention that this is a solution is search of problem.
Still it looks like it is going forward, so see below.

2) "... engaging in behavior that may bring the PostgreSQL project into
disrepute, ..."
This to me is overly broad and pulls in actions that may happen outside
the community. Those if they are actually an issue should be handled
where they occur not here.

3) "... members must be sensitive to conduct that may be considered
offensive by fellow members and must refrain from engaging in such
conduct. "
Again overly broad, especially given the hypersensitivity of people
these days. I have found that it is enough to disagree with someone to
have it called offensive. This section should be removed as proscribed
behavior is called out in detail in the paragraphs above it.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com