Re: Code of Conduct plan

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Code of Conduct plan
Date: 2018-06-05 04:55:13
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com> writes:
> On 06/03/2018 11:29 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Code_of_Conduct
>> We are now asking for a final round of community comments.

> My comments:

> 1) Reiterate my contention that this is a solution is search of problem.

As I mentioned elsewhere, I'm aware of at least one actual case of a
person leaving the community because of harassment. I do not think
it's a hypothetical problem. Whether a CoC can fix it remains to
be seen, but doing nothing will certainly not fix it.

> 2) "... engaging in behavior that may bring the PostgreSQL project into
> disrepute, ..."
> This to me is overly broad and pulls in actions that may happen outside
> the community. Those if they are actually an issue should be handled
> where they occur not here.

See discussion elsewhere in thread, particularly the FreeBSD precedent
about actions "outside the community". We shouldn't be too legalistic
about exactly where that boundary is.

> 3) "... members must be sensitive to conduct that may be considered
> offensive by fellow members and must refrain from engaging in such
> conduct. "
> Again overly broad, especially given the hypersensitivity of people
> these days. I have found that it is enough to disagree with someone to
> have it called offensive. This section should be removed as proscribed
> behavior is called out in detail in the paragraphs above it.

I'm not following this complaint. That's part of the conclusion,
which is *supposed* to restate what came before it, with more concision
and hence necessarily less precision.