Re: Recommended/Not Recommended Hosts?

From: Josh Livni <josh(at)umbrellaconsulting(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: SF Postgres <sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Recommended/Not Recommended Hosts?
Date: 2009-12-10 19:02:12
Lists: sfpug

> -- Amazon EC2: uptime and availability are great, but the servers are
> sloooooooow and fulfillment of new instances is unreliable. Also,
> CPU-stealing.

Pure curiosity on my part here ... I use EC2 a bit, tho not as much as the
serious users. A few large and small instances on all the time, and I boot
up new ones for shorter periods all the time. First - I've never had any
issue getting my instances fulfilled right away (I always use EAST-C, but
perhaps other datacenters are generally more full, or you are trying to boot
up many tens of servers at once?).

Also, when you say they are slow, do you mean in terms of $/cycle, or you
wish you had burst access to other users unused cycles like on some other
vps offerings? something else?

I like the bundle of offerings that AWS provides (EBS, especially), and I've
personally had great experience w/them (fwiw I've also had great experience
w/slicehost) -- but if I am getting missing out on how they're screwing me,
for example by stealing my CPU, I'd definitely love to learn more.