Recommended/Not Recommended Hosts?

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: SF Postgres <sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Recommended/Not Recommended Hosts?
Date: 2009-12-10 18:43:47
Lists: sfpug

All,

What hosts, both virtual hosts and colos, do you recommend for
PostgreSQL-based applications, and which ones have you had bad
experiences with? If we get a list together, we'll put it up somewhere
community.

For my part, I've had reasonably good experiences with:

-- Rackspace rental servers (provided you're OK with Dell hardware)
-- Layer42 for low-end colo, but watch your bandwith, they won't.
-- Joyent for online data warehousing (if you can deal with Solaris)

I've had bad experiences with:

-- GoGrid Cloud Servers ... I/O is very very bad, so your database
better fit in RAM, and they're limited to 8GB max. On the other hand,
no downtime whatsoever. (in GG's defense, they recommend colo for databases)

-- Amazon EC2: uptime and availability are great, but the servers are
sloooooooow and fulfillment of new instances is unreliable. Also,
CPU-stealing.

--Josh Berkus