Re: Add %x to PROMPT1 and PROMPT2

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Vik Fearing <vik(dot)fearing(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Add %x to PROMPT1 and PROMPT2
Date: 2020-02-03 14:40:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se> writes:
> On 3 Feb 2020, at 08:08, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> wrote:
>> FWIW, I am not really in favor of changing a default old enough that
>> it could vote (a45195a).

> That by itself doesn't seem a good reason to not change things.

> My concern would be that users who have never ever considered that the prompt
> can be changed, all of sudden wonder why the prompt is showing characters it
> normally isn't, thus causing confusion. That being said, I agree that this is
> a better default long-term.

I've got the same misgivings as Michael. In a green field this'd likely
be a good idea, but after so many years I'm afraid it will make fewer
people happy than unhappy.

Now on the other hand, we did change the server's default log_line_prefix
not so long ago (7d3235ba4), and the feared storm of complaints was pretty
much undetectable. So maybe this'd go down the same way. Worth noting
also is that this shouldn't be able to break any applications, since the
prompt is an interactive-only behavior.