Re: Add %x to PROMPT1 and PROMPT2

From: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Vik Fearing <vik(dot)fearing(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Add %x to PROMPT1 and PROMPT2
Date: 2020-02-03 12:40:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 3 Feb 2020, at 08:08, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> wrote:

> FWIW, I am not really in favor of changing a default old enough that
> it could vote (a45195a).

That by itself doesn't seem a good reason to not change things.

My concern would be that users who have never ever considered that the prompt
can be changed, all of sudden wonder why the prompt is showing characters it
normally isn't, thus causing confusion. That being said, I agree that this is
a better default long-term.

cheers ./daniel