Re: Add %x to PROMPT1 and PROMPT2

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Vik Fearing <vik(dot)fearing(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Add %x to PROMPT1 and PROMPT2
Date: 2020-02-03 14:34:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2020-Feb-03, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:

> > On 3 Feb 2020, at 08:08, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> wrote:
>
> > FWIW, I am not really in favor of changing a default old enough that
> > it could vote (a45195a).
>
> That by itself doesn't seem a good reason to not change things.

Yeah.

> My concern would be that users who have never ever considered that the prompt
> can be changed, all of sudden wonder why the prompt is showing characters it
> normally isn't, thus causing confusion. That being said, I agree that this is
> a better default long-term.

I think this is the good kind of surprise, not the bad kind.

I think the only kind of user that would be negatively affected would be
those that have scripted psql under expect(1) and would fail to read the
new prompt correctly. But I would say that that kind of user is the one
most likely to be able to fix things as needed. Everybody else is just
looking at an extra char in the screen, and they don't really care.

I'm +1 for the default change.