Re: Do we still need constraint_exclusion?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>, Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Do we still need constraint_exclusion?
Date: 2009-01-07 22:46:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> * Simon Riggs (simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com) wrote:
>>> I don't really understand this. Who can set up an inherited table
>>> structure but can't remember to turn on constraint_exclusion?

> This new change also adds the constraint exclusion overhead only for
> inhertance (by default) so it should slightly improve query peformance.

Right, I think that's the real winning argument for having this: it
gets the benefit of c_e for partitioned tables without imposing overhead
for non-partitioned tables. See Josh B's remarks upthread about
actually going to the trouble of turning c_e off and on on-the-fly to
try to approximate that result.