Re: Significant oversight in that #include-removal script

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Significant oversight in that #include-removal script
Date: 2009-01-07 22:49:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> The script certainly has no way to know it is missing an extern, and I
>> am not sure how I would even teach it that trick.

> It would be easy if the compiler were to have an option to throw a
> warning when it finds a non-static variable that doesn't have a
> corresponding extern declaration.

Yeah, I think this is hopeless (or at least not worth the cost) without
compiler support --- I was just idly wondering if newer gcc's might have
such an option.

The case at hand is actually somewhat improbable, because it requires
having a header file that exports a variable but not any of the file's
functions. So maybe it's not worth worrying about anyway.