Re: CommitFest 2009-09: how do we close this one out?

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: CommitFest 2009-09: how do we close this one out?
Date: 2009-10-11 02:55:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 9:34 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Because there are so many patches that are ready for committer review
> already, and several more that will probably get there soon, it seems
> likely that we will still have patches in that state on 10/15, the
> nominal date for the end of CommitFest.  We need to think about what
> we want to do about that.

Since the silence in response to this email has been deafening, I
suppose I'll make a concrete proposal.

After some thought and reflection, I'm inclined to suggest that on
10/15 we move all the remaining patches to the next CommitFest,
declare this one closed, and stamp alpha2 on schedule.

If nothing else gets committed between now and then, it will be a
somewhat lighter alpha than what I at least was expecting, but maybe
that's OK. The alternative is to wait, say, another week, and hope
some more things get committed, but they might not, in which case
we've postponed the alpha for nothing.

One bad thing about postponing things to the next CF is that it may
lead to the next CF being really big, but perhaps if some things get
committed after the end of this CommitFest and before 11/15 it won't
be too bad.

The one patch that I would really like to see get some committer
review yet this week is "Reworks for Access Controls", because there
is future work that depends on it.

Thoughts? Votes?

...Robert