Re: Review of "SQLDA support for ECPG"

From: Boszormenyi Zoltan <zb(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Review of "SQLDA support for ECPG"
Date: 2009-10-10 18:09:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Michael Meskes írta:
> On Thu, Oct 08, 2009 at 01:15:58PM +0200, Boszormenyi Zoltan wrote:
>
>>> What's the point of that? It can't be applied without documentation,
>>> and it just makes life more complicated to have two separate patch
>>> files floating around.
>>>
>> It's easier to write the documentation for all changes at once.
>> I would have the same situation that happened with the code,
>> the patches with the documentation added would strictly depend
>> on each other again. Also, Michael Meskes applied the "string"
>> pseudo-type patch without the documentation, despite the patch
>> had it, maybe at an improper place. With a tongue-in-cheek
>>

> I don't get it. Are you blaming me for committing you patch although it had no
> documentation?

No blaming, but sorry, it definitely had, in both these rounds
of split-up ECPG patchsets:

2009-05-15:
http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/4A5E0F1D.7030004@cybertec.at
2009-08-03:
http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/4A770C7B.1060404@cybertec.at

I assumed you have applied it from the second mail, this was
the last version sent for the "string" patch. It is my fault that
I haven't put it on the CommitFest page. Indeed, the version
on the CF page doesn't have documentation. But the code you
committed seems to be the one (or very close, with some
editorialization) in the second mail quoted above.

> Or for not committing the documentation part of it? I definitely
> did not remove anything on purpose.

I guessed that it was not on purpose, but I only realized
last thursday that the documentation for "string" is missing
when I wrote the docs for the other patches.

> But if I missed something a short note
> would have been a better way to tell me.

Yes, of course. Sorry.

Best regards,
Zoltán Böszörményi

--
Bible has answers for everything. Proof:
"But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more

Zoltán Böszörményi
Cybertec Schönig & Schönig GmbH
http://www.postgresql.at/