Re: 8.4 open items list

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Guillaume Smet <guillaume(dot)smet(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.4 open items list
Date: 2009-03-27 03:24:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 11:06 PM, Guillaume Smet
<guillaume(dot)smet(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 2:58 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> That includes a whole slough of patches that weren't submitted until
>> after November 1st and which I think should probably be bumped en
>> masse to 8.5:
>>
>> postgresql.conf: patch to have ParseConfigFile report all parsing
>> errors, then bail
>
> Not sure about this one. A similar patch for the pg_hba.conf file
> submitted after the commit fest (IIRC) has already been commited.

Well, if we keep slipping one more thing in, we're never going to get
this thing out the door. The fact that we've already let some extra
things slip in is not a good reason to slip in moor things. The patch
may be great stuff and if a committer wants to pick it up and commit
it, that's their prerogative. But to my mind this sounds like an
enhancement, and since we've supposedly been in feature freeze for
almost 5 months, I see no reason to argue that it MUST happen before
beta.

>> pg_standby trigger behavior is dangerous
>
> This one has to be fixed IMHO. I'm not sure how but we have to take a
> decision. The current behaviour is really dangerous for most of our
> users.

Perhaps so, but again, it's not a new regression, so why should it be
considered a blocker for 8.4beta?

Most of these are great patches. I would love to see them committed.
But at some point you have to draw a line in the sand. A decision was
taken that the last commitfest for 8.4 began 11/1/08. We have finally
managed to END that commitfest. I don't wish to have another,
unofficial one before beta. I want to go to beta as soon as humanly
possible and try to get this release out the door sometime in 2009.

...Robert