Re: Tracing down buildfarm "postmaster does not shut down" failures

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Tracing down buildfarm "postmaster does not shut down" failures
Date: 2016-02-10 00:06:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 02/09/2016 06:46 PM, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> On 02/09/2016 05:53 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>

>> Andrew, I wonder if I could prevail on you to make axolotl run "make
>> check" on HEAD in src/interfaces/ecpg/ until it fails, so that we can
>> see if the logging I added tells anything useful about this.
>>

> Will do.

Incidentally, as I noted earlier, the ecpg tests don't honour
TEMP_CONFIG, and in axolotl's case this could well make a difference, as
it it set up like this:

extra_config =>{
DEFAULT => [
q(log_line_prefix = '%m [%c:%l] '),
"log_connections = 'true'",
"log_disconnections = 'true'",
"log_statement = 'all'",
"fsync = off",
"stats_temp_directory='/home/andrew/bf/root/stats_temp/$branch'"
],
},

So running it's not running with fsync off or using the ramdisk for
stats_temp_directory. Of course, that doesn't explain why we're not
seeing it on branches earlier than 9.5, but it could explain why we're
only seeing it on the ecpg tests.

cheers

andrew