Re: Tracing down buildfarm "postmaster does not shut down" failures

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Tracing down buildfarm "postmaster does not shut down" failures
Date: 2016-02-10 00:49:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> So running it's not running with fsync off or using the ramdisk for
> stats_temp_directory. Of course, that doesn't explain why we're not
> seeing it on branches earlier than 9.5, but it could explain why we're
> only seeing it on the ecpg tests.

BTW, the evidence we already have from axolotl's last run is that
post-checkpoint shutdown in the ecpg test was pretty quick:

LOG: database system is shut down at 2016-02-09 16:31:14.784 EST
LOG: lock files all released at 2016-02-09 16:31:14.817 EST

However, I'd already noted from some other digging in the buildfarm
logs that axolotl's speed seems to vary tremendously. I do not
know what else you typically run on that hardware, but putting it
under full load might help prove things.