60 Seconds to connected to Postgresql using ODBC or PGAdmin

From: Richard Broersma Jr <rabroersma(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Finn Lassen <dcio(at)AxiomInt(dot)com>
Cc: Postgresql ODBC List <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>, General PostgreSQL List <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: 60 Seconds to connected to Postgresql using ODBC or PGAdmin
Date: 2007-11-29 06:51:16
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-odbc

--- On Wed, 11/28/07, Finn Lassen <dcio(at)AxiomInt(dot)com> wrote:

Can anyone else comment on what problems could be causing these slow connections problems?

> Meanwhile, I don't understand why it now takes exactly
> 60 seconds to connect to the database whether I use pgAdmin or my
> connection string from within VB.

This is very odd. Since you are having a problem with your connection time on both pgAdmin(which doesn't use ODBC to connect) and ODBC connects, I would assume that you must be having an issue that is non-odbc related.

> I thought I had seen a comment about this somewhere, but can't find it
> now. I've tried changing Connection Pooling in the OBDC Data Source
> Administrator for the PostgreSQL ANSI driver, but doesn't have any
> effect (or maybe just reloading the server configuration is not enough?

If this were an ODBC connection Issue, i would first make sure that all of ODBC logging was disabled on your client computer. ODBC logging can really kill performance.

The windows ODBC tracing is found in the ODBC Datasource Administrator form -> tracing -> [Stop tracing now] & [Stop Visual Studio Analyzer now].

I guess it is impossible for postgresql ODBC logging to be taking place since you using a DNSless connection and have set any parameters to start the logging.

If all of the logging is already off, try turning turning on the Myloging and CommLogin by setting the appropriate setting in your DNS-less connection string. If you post these logs, It will help others on the ODBC mailing list to trouble shoot where your problem is coming from.

Also on a side note, it is important to remember that many of the subscribers to the Postgresql mailing list are bombarded with countless emails on a daily basis.

Do to the voluminous amount of emails, I am pretty sure that most subscribers pick and choose which emails they will read purely based on the interest generated by the email's subject heading.

So to help encourage more subscribes to participate, it is important to make your subject headings very specific (to the point) and to make them as eye catching as possible. You'll notice that I've alter your email subject a bit. Hopefully it will help get a few more people to join in on this thread.

There is nothing wrong with tackling a very difficult but general problem with postgresql by sending seperate emails with different subject heading the specifically address only the individual facets of the overall problem. Different people will probably respond to different facets of your overall problem.

Regarding the test case I sent to you, how many columns should I try to create in a table in order to reproduce the problem you where having with needing OIDs created in your tables?

Regards,
Richard Broersma Jr.