Re: 60 Seconds to connected to Postgresql using ODBC or PGAdmin

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: Richard Broersma Jr <rabroersma(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: Finn Lassen <dcio(at)AxiomInt(dot)com>, Postgresql ODBC List <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>, General PostgreSQL List <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 60 Seconds to connected to Postgresql using ODBC or PGAdmin
Date: 2007-11-29 07:38:15
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-odbc

Richard Broersma Jr wrote:
> --- On Wed, 11/28/07, Finn Lassen <dcio(at)AxiomInt(dot)com> wrote:
>
> Can anyone else comment on what problems could be causing these slow connections problems?
>

>> Meanwhile, I don't understand why it now takes exactly
>> 60 seconds to connect to the database whether I use pgAdmin or my
>> connection string from within VB.

Name lookups. Something is trying to look up a name, failing and it's
timing out after 60 seconds.

Could be DNS, or WINS (or whatever MS' current name resolution system is
called). It could be either end of the connection too, if for example
something on the server is logging the names of connecting clients.

Try a couple of name lookups (forward and reverse) from each end and see
what happens.

--
Richard Huxton
Archonet Ltd