Re: 60 Seconds to connected to Postgresql using ODBC or PGAdmin

From: "Adam M" <gnuman1(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Postgresql ODBC List" <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 60 Seconds to connected to Postgresql using ODBC or PGAdmin
Date: 2007-11-29 07:08:49
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-odbc

On Nov 29, 2007 12:51 AM, Richard Broersma Jr <rabroersma(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:
> --- On Wed, 11/28/07, Finn Lassen <dcio(at)AxiomInt(dot)com> wrote:
>
> Can anyone else comment on what problems could be causing these slow connections problems?
>

> > Meanwhile, I don't understand why it now takes exactly
> > 60 seconds to connect to the database whether I use pgAdmin or my
> > connection string from within VB.
>
> This is very odd. Since you are having a problem with your connection time on both pgAdmin(which doesn't use ODBC to connect) and ODBC connects, I would assume that you must be having an issue that is non-odbc related.

60 seconds lag that happens all the time is generally a DNS issue.
Whenever a connection takes that long of a time, and the server is not
loaded like crazy, then it is most likely a reverse DNS issue.
Sometimes a forward DNS issue. The delay is just the amount of time
for the DNS lookup to timeout.

- Adam