Re: more descriptive message for process termination due to max_slot_wal_keep_size

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: bdrouvot(at)amazon(dot)com, sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com, ashutosh(dot)bapat(dot)oss(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: more descriptive message for process termination due to max_slot_wal_keep_size
Date: 2022-09-30 02:49:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> By the way, I didn't notice at that time (and forgot about the
> policy), but the HINT message has variations differing only by the
> variable name.

> What do you think about the attached?

Hmm, maybe, but a quick grep for 'You might need to increase'
finds about a dozen other cases, and none of them are using %s.
If we do this we should change all of them, and they probably
need "translator:" hints. I'm not sure whether abstracting
away the variable names will make translation harder.