Re: Linux Distribution Preferences?

From: Chris Ernst <cernst(at)zvelo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Linux Distribution Preferences?
Date: 2013-01-14 00:07:56
Lists: pgsql-general

On 01/13/2013 03:44 PM, Gavin Flower wrote:
> I would tend use Fedora for development, but would consider CentOS (or
> RHEL, if we had the budget) for production - I avoid Ubuntu like the plague.

I happen to be doing my own research on this matter. I tend to lean
more toward RHEL or CentOS for production servers just because there
seem to be more people using it in that capacity and it seem to be
easier to get solid support or advice for those. But I prefer Ubuntu
for my laptop mainly because of the size of the community, available
PPAs, ease of administration, etc...

Ultimately, it seem to come down to what you are most
familiar/comfortable managing. I don't see much practical difference
between the distributions other than the versions of various software
that they ship with by default. But that is usually rather easy to
change according to your needs anyway.

I've seen the opinion of "avoid Ubuntu like the plague" expressed many
times, but it is never followed up with any solid reasoning. Can you
(or anyone else) give specific details on exactly why you believe Ubuntu
should be avoided?

- Chris