Re: Linux Distribution Preferences?

From: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Chris Ernst <cernst(at)zvelo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Linux Distribution Preferences?
Date: 2013-01-14 01:27:30
Lists: pgsql-general

On 01/13/2013 04:07 PM, Chris Ernst wrote:
> On 01/13/2013 03:44 PM, Gavin Flower wrote:
>
> I've seen the opinion of "avoid Ubuntu like the plague" expressed many
> times, but it is never followed up with any solid reasoning. Can you
> (or anyone else) give specific details on exactly why you believe Ubuntu
> should be avoided?

My take is that you have to look at Ubuntu as two distinct lines of
distributions, desktop and server. I got into it for the desktop and
stayed for the server. The "avoid like a plague" tag tends to apply to
the desktop line and to an extent is valid. Canonical seems to be
leading a parade of one on a new graphical look for the desktop. So if
you use the desktop version and follow the six month release cycle you
are in for a ride. You can avoid that somewhat by using a LTS desktop,
but the change will come and you will have to deal.

The server line on the other hand avoids the graphical desktop issue, so
it tends to be less 'interesting'. If you stick with the LTS releases
then it becomes even more stable. The nice part is that with PPAs you
can backport newer releases of software to older LTS releases. For
example and to get back on topic the Postgres PPA maintained by Martin Pitt:

https://launchpad.net/~pitti/+archive/postgresql

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian(dot)klaver(at)gmail(dot)com