Re: Fate of pgFoundry

From: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Fate of pgFoundry
Date: 2012-01-12 19:19:59
Lists: pgsql-www

On 01/12/2012 07:56 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:

>>> However, when we previously had this discussion, there were a list of
>>> things to be done in the months leading up to killing off pgFoundry. As
>>> far as I know, none of those things were actually done.
>>
>> ... like, say, notifying projects and giving them a reasonable
>> opportunity to migrate someplace else? AFAIR there has been never been
>> any clear statement of intent to shut down pgfoundry, just some vague
>> grumblings of annoyance from the admin team.
>
> Right. Also:
>
> -- providing file storage location for community files (such as
> graphics, documents, etc.)

media.postgresql.org - but really I guess most current project hosting
platforms provide thise kind of service...

> -- moving still-active community (as opposed to project-specific)
> mailing lists from various projects (GSOC, press, etc.)

well I guess for closely related project we will be happy to provide
hosting on postgresql.org infrastructure, but in general most
alternative hosting solutions for projects will have solutions for that
as well..

> -- moving source code for projects which have interesting code but no
> longer have a project lead to another source code host

well not sure we can do a lot about that - we could do an archive(tar.gz
or similiar= on our download system but if a project is abandoned it is
really dead...

Stefan