Re: Fate of pgFoundry

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Fate of pgFoundry
Date: 2012-01-12 19:24:47
Lists: pgsql-www

>> -- providing file storage location for community files (such as
>> graphics, documents, etc.)
>
> media.postgresql.org - but really I guess most current project hosting
> platforms provide thise kind of service...

Actually, most don't. In fact, the only one I know which does is
Sourceforge.

>> -- moving still-active community (as opposed to project-specific)
>> mailing lists from various projects (GSOC, press, etc.)
>
> well I guess for closely related project we will be happy to provide
> hosting on postgresql.org infrastructure, but in general most
> alternative hosting solutions for projects will have solutions for that
> as well..

Actually, most don't. I've a feeling we'll get requests for mailing
lists even from projects who have moved their source code. Really the
only public utilities providing mailing lists are Google and Yahoo, and
those both have substantial drawbacks.

And yes, I'm talking about moving them to postgresql.org. It's just
needs to be done as a precursor, that's all.

>> -- moving source code for projects which have interesting code but no
>> longer have a project lead to another source code host
>
> well not sure we can do a lot about that - we could do an archive(tar.gz
> or similiar= on our download system but if a project is abandoned it is
> really dead...

Or just move them to a source code host of our choice. First step is
evaluating which projects these are (hopefully a small number).

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.