Re: Version Numbering

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>,"David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>
Cc: "PostgreSQL Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Version Numbering
Date: 2010-08-20 20:00:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"David E. Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com> wrote:

>>> .0 is for releases, not betas. I see no need for an extra
>>> number in beta versions.
>
> Yes, well, it's still implicit, isn't it?

Not the way I read it. If we had a development cycle which resulted
in 8.4.5beta4, then you would have a point. We don't.

Now, if you wanted to argue that it would be better to use 9.0.beta4
than 9.0beta4, that might be defensible. I think I like that
better; but I'm not inclined to think the difference is worth the
pain of changing an established convention.

-Kevin