Re: MySQL-ism help patch for psql

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: "Alastair \"Bell\" Turner" <thebellhead(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Cédric Villemain <cedric(dot)villemain(dot)debian(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: MySQL-ism help patch for psql
Date: 2010-01-25 16:14:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Alastair "Bell" Turner wrote:
> If this option is designed to help people's transition - basically to
> get to them before they've got to most of the manual - having to turn
> it on will be pointless. It needs to be active by default.

My problem with this whole idea is that it seems to be very
MySQL-specific. Why aren't we providing help for users migrating from
Oracle, Sybase, Informix, Ingres, DB2, SQLServer and Firebird, to name
but a few? And if we turn all those on by default, we'll have a pretty
horrible banner when starting psql.

cheers

andrew