Re: MySQL-ism help patch for psql

From: Aidan Van Dyk <aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: MySQL-ism help patch for psql
Date: 2010-01-25 16:12:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

* Alastair Bell Turner <thebellhead(at)gmail(dot)com> [100125 11:07]:
> If this option is designed to help people's transition - basically to
> get to them before they've got to most of the manual - having to turn
> it on will be pointless. It needs to be active by default. A way to
> avoid it being a default option in psql may be setting an alias as
> part of package installation so power users couid turn it off by
> without having to add a switch to their command lines. It's not going
> to have anything to say to experienced psql users anyway so it would
> probably not bug anyone enough to turn it off.

I'ld be more comfortable for a line in t the more standard help along
the lines of:
"For more information on PSQL commands when coming from other
databases, see the documentation."

And then we can have a full discussion in the docs, psql man page,
wherever, where you can actually *describe* the differences between the
commands, etc, instead of loosing the useful information because of
trying to stuff things into a 1-line message about something that might
not have been intended...

And then you can have a section on MySQL, SQLite, DB2, Informix,
Firebird, Oracle, etc... Basically a section for whoever has an itch.

a.

--
Aidan Van Dyk Create like a god,
aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca command like a king,