Re: MySQL-ism help patch for psql

From: "Alastair \"Bell\" Turner" <thebellhead(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: MySQL-ism help patch for psql
Date: 2010-01-25 16:22:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 6:14 PM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net> wrote:

> My problem with this whole idea is that it seems to be very MySQL-specific.
> Why aren't we providing help for users migrating from Oracle, Sybase,
> Informix, Ingres, DB2, SQLServer and Firebird, to name but a few? And if we
> turn all those on by default, we'll have a pretty horrible banner when
> starting psql.
>
> cheers
>
> andrew

The easy way around that would be a message along the lines of '
\migrate for information on how the commands from your previous
environment translate to psql' It's a bit verbose but could be trimmed
I'm sure.

The \migrate mysql, \migrate db2, \migrate ingres ... could all do
their own thing. Some of the command specific responses won't be
extened too much either since DESCRIBE and SHOW apply in multiple
places similarly enough that the one line reminder could be
interchangable.