Re: PgAdmin3 on Mac OS X Observations

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: Mark Cotner <mark(dot)cotner(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PgAdmin3 on Mac OS X Observations
Date: 2010-01-18 16:05:26
Lists: pgadmin-support

Hi,

Le 15/01/2010 22:14, Mark Cotner a écrit :
> [...]
> I would tell you what version I have, but I can't seem to get the About
> window to come up(very minor nag #1). I just downloaded it so it's the
> latest Mac OS X binary you have on your site.

I can't check that right now, cause I don't have my Mac Mini there. Will
try later.

> Love the tool, just coming back after a few years and the improvements are
> much appreciated. I wanted to let you know I'm having a couple of problems
> with it on the Mac, however I haven't tried to duplicate these problems yet
> on other platforms. I'll give it a shot later today and let you know how it
> goes.
>
> 1. The query times seem bloated. It seems to render rather slowly, but the
> table I'm querying is wide and has several text columns so that is to be
> expected. However, as a DBA I'm testing queries to verify responsiveness on
> the server, not so much the client. The time you're reporting doesn't match
> what I'm seeing on the server.
>
> Total query runtime: 963 ms.
> 87 rows retrieved.
>
> Versus(same query run with explain analyze from pgadmin3):
> "Sort (cost=11.00..11.05 rows=20 width=3097) (actual time=0.293..0.346
> rows=87 loops=1)"
> " Sort Key: version"
> " Sort Method: quicksort Memory: 74kB"
> " -> Index Scan using
> index_online_solutions_project_card_versions_on_card_id on
> online_solutions_project_card_versions (cost=0.00..10.56 rows=20
> width=3097) (actual time=0.017..0.145 rows=87 loops=1)"
> " Index Cond: (card_id = 15633)"
> "Total runtime: 0.494 ms"
>
> Or roughly 2000 times slower as reported by PgAdmin3.
>
> It seems more likely people would be more interested in how long the query
> runs on the server vs round trip time, etc which seems to be built into your
> query time.

Sure. Right now, it just shows you the program didn't freeze. We can
probably add this query run time.

> 2. When my network or VPN connection drops PgAdmin3 locks up completely.
> It may be retrying the connection, but I waited more than 30 minutes for it
> to time out and reconnect. It has done this to me a number of times. It
> seems the connection management needs more intelligence.

AFAICT, it's more a tcp config than a pgAdmin's config. You probably
have the same issue with psql.

--
Guillaume.
http://www.postgresqlfr.org