PgAdmin3 on Mac OS X Observations

From: Mark Cotner <mark(dot)cotner(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: PgAdmin3 on Mac OS X Observations
Date: 2010-01-15 21:14:19
Lists: pgadmin-support

Hi all,
I would tell you what version I have, but I can't seem to get the About
window to come up(very minor nag #1). I just downloaded it so it's the
latest Mac OS X binary you have on your site.

Love the tool, just coming back after a few years and the improvements are
much appreciated. I wanted to let you know I'm having a couple of problems
with it on the Mac, however I haven't tried to duplicate these problems yet
on other platforms. I'll give it a shot later today and let you know how it
goes.

1. The query times seem bloated. It seems to render rather slowly, but the
table I'm querying is wide and has several text columns so that is to be
expected. However, as a DBA I'm testing queries to verify responsiveness on
the server, not so much the client. The time you're reporting doesn't match
what I'm seeing on the server.

Total query runtime: 963 ms.
87 rows retrieved.

Versus(same query run with explain analyze from pgadmin3):
"Sort (cost=11.00..11.05 rows=20 width=3097) (actual time=0.293..0.346
rows=87 loops=1)"
" Sort Key: version"
" Sort Method: quicksort Memory: 74kB"
" -> Index Scan using
index_online_solutions_project_card_versions_on_card_id on
online_solutions_project_card_versions (cost=0.00..10.56 rows=20
width=3097) (actual time=0.017..0.145 rows=87 loops=1)"
" Index Cond: (card_id = 15633)"
"Total runtime: 0.494 ms"

Or roughly 2000 times slower as reported by PgAdmin3.

It seems more likely people would be more interested in how long the query
runs on the server vs round trip time, etc which seems to be built into your
query time.

2. When my network or VPN connection drops PgAdmin3 locks up completely.
It may be retrying the connection, but I waited more than 30 minutes for it
to time out and reconnect. It has done this to me a number of times. It
seems the connection management needs more intelligence.

Very minor stuff, but I though you should be aware of it. Again, nice work
and thanks for all you do.

'njoy,
Mark

--
"Keynes observed that pragmatic businessmen often could not imagine that
they were the slaves of defunct economists, but ironically, never is this